Sunday, February 11

udon: no longer scary


Years ago I had udon noodles in a Chinese restaurant in Akron, Ohio. They were enormous, slimy, and cold. Everyone at the table (including adults with food experience) agreed that they were disgusting. I hoped to get over this trauma when I bought a package of dried udon a while ago. Finally, the other night I had this meal. Very simple flavored with soy sauce and equal parts minced garlic and ginger. These were so delicious. The meal reminded me of ramen noodles but I didn't feel awful afterward. I can't wait to make this again. I almost wish I was a waitress again so I could come home late and tired and fry up a pot.

Tonight was a caeser ( I believe that was how Joy of Cooking spelled it) salad. No raw eggs, no creamy mayonnaise. All marvelous. Joy of Cooking is my new favorite cookbook. Every recipe works. The authors never preach. There is never any shame or horror when the meal is finished. No stress.

No comments: