Sunday, March 18

Nicoise

One of the restaurants I worked in served a salmon nicoise. I always wanted to eat it but never did. We weren't allow to eat or even buy the food at work or after our shift unless we changed clothes and came in a "real" customer. I still have a lot of unresolved anger over that. But anyway. I finally got the chance to have a nicoise earlier this week. I worked late so my boyfriend made it and it was ready when I came home. Then suddenly I was having one of those mind blown open oh! I am older and now I understand moments that your parents insist will happen. No wonder all the customers complained about the nicoise at work. It was almost completely unlike the nicoise on my table at home. Instead of potatoes it had angel hair pasta, and tons of red onions, no green beans, a mustard less dressing or maybe no dressing at all, no greens of any kind, and barely any salmon (to be fair mine didn't either it was tuna). I felt a twinge of guilt over mocking the complaining customers, but I still maintain that you are responsible for reading the menu before the food comes. Our homemade nicoise was tasty. I ate too many olives and woke up puffy the next morning. And I still have a deep craving for the pasta nicoise at my former job.
This was from Joy of Cooking (obviously).

No comments: